Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Crashy Weekend

Friday Coffee Ride

It took quite a few days to come down from the workout I got up in North Carolina, but I nonetheless eventually settled into my usual dull routine of Zone 2 rides occasionally interspersed with beyond category efforts to keep from being dropped. Fortunately, the university riders finally started to filter back into the picture, which is always a good thing.


Last Wednesday's WeMoRi was a good workout despite my getting dropped due mostly to a moment or two of hesitation hoping the riding in front of me, who was clearly losing the draft and showing little hope of regaining it. Of course I sat on his wheel a little too long hoping for some kind of miracle. Branden came around us on City Park Avenue in an attempt to bridge me up to the group, but even that was too little too late. Apparently there had been another attack in the front group while we were trying to make the bridge, so that kind of explains it. There's often a little lull after the sprint on City Park Avenue, but no such luck that day. Naturally I later made a u-turn on Lakeshore Drive so I could enjoy the usual final surge to Marconi. There were a number of Tulane riders on hand, all in their new jerseys, and we had a nice long coffee stop on the way home at The Bean Gallery on Carrollton. On Friday there was the usual super-fast "Friendly" Friday ride, followed by the easy Tulane coffee ride and a stop at Junk Drawer Coffee on Broadway, right around the corner from home.

The weather for the past few days, including last weekend, has featured extreme heat advisories. Although the early SaMoRi group has ballooned in size with people trying to avoid a little bit of the sunshine, we still had a solid group for the Giro. Aided by a light tailwind, the speed rarely dropped below 28 mph the whole way out, making it a pretty fair workout even without spending much time in the wind. Much of the return trip was more in the 24-25 mph range as the mild headwind and increasing heat began to take a toll. Still, thing were rolling along nicely as we made our way down Hayne Blvd (apparently recently renamed Lincoln Beach Blvd.). 


At one point the whole group swung out into the left lane. I later learned that it was because whoever was at the front thought we were about to hit a section of broken up road. As it turned out, that section was just a little bit farther down the road, and when we got to it we were back in the right lane going 25 mph. Someone near the front saw it at the last minute and apparently hit the brakes, resulting in a big pile-up. The earlier group had plowed right across the broken concrete, which had resulted in multiple flat tires. We weren't quite so lucky and four riders hit the ground, with TJ getting the worst of it. I rode back in with TJ and Eddie D as a large hematoma grew on TJ's left elbow and his right brake lever dangled from the handlebar. We were going slowly and I was wondering why Nico and Chris didn't catch us. It turned out Nico had flatted. Despite the crash and everything it was still a pretty hard and hot training ride, and I was feeling lucky I'd been able to stop in time. Chris, who had been right in front of me, went down, but fortunately landed mostly in the grass. When I got home I reported the broken up concrete, accompanied by a photo, to NOLA311. From what I heard later, it had been temporarily patched in time for the Sunday Giro.


So on Sunday there was a 50 mile Tulane ride from Abita Springs that included a couple of new riders. Considering that they wanted to meet at 5:30 am for the drive across the lake, I was impressed that everyone who said they were coming actually showed up. I rode over with Jack and three bikes. Charles met us over there, along with a couple others, so we ended up with a good sized group of eleven. It was probably the longest ride ever for a couple of the people in the group. This was initially organized by Tessa (Pirm is in Germany) and was scheduled to be a fairly easy Zone 2 ride, which it definitely was. We made three store stops along the way, one at Isabel, another at Enon, and the last at Barker's Corner. That was a good thing because it was getting pretty hot toward the end, two or three people fell over trying to unclip, and there was one minor crash when a couple of riders bumped each other on Lee Road. Fortunately we were never going quite fast enough for any of that to have done a lot of damage, and everyone had a nice lunch at Abita Brewpub before heading back to town.


With such an easy ride on Sunday I kind of felt like I was in uncharted waters as I rode out to meet the Monday morning 6 am ride. For that one we had a pretty good turnout, and the pace didn't stay in the "Mellow Monday" range for very long. It was in fact quite a bit afield from anything you might call mellow. Later that morning I went over to Ochsner for my annual checkup, which is mostly a bloodletting for lab work, all of which turned out to be more or less normal. BP was 112/72, so no worries there. I'm scheduled for a cardiac echo next week since the last time I had one the results were printed out on heat sensitive paper. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse back in the late 70s or early 80s when I had some arrythmia going on, so probably a good thing to check. I'd expect a dialated left ventricle at least by now, and perhaps a good excuse for getting dropped to keep in my pocket. At this age you never really know if something's wrong or if that's just the way it is now.

No comments: